Since the number of motorcycle accidents is on a rise, it is necessary to know some safety tips for all motorcycle riders. Presently the most common cause of the motorcycle accidents is the cars which take sudden turns on the road. Since there are not many motorcycles on the road compared to trucks, cars and vans, the drivers of such vehicles have high chance of overlooking the motorcycle riders. The car drivers usually do not pay attention to the motorcycles driving through the intersection, when they take turns. This leads to accidents.
Also it is a fact that the other drivers do not yield the right of way to the motorcyclists as they are supposed to do. The smaller size of the motorcycle, compared to the other vehicles, keeps it in the blind spot and hence the other drivers fail to see the motorcycle coming. This again leads to accidents.
Though the motorcycle accidents are not always caused by the riders themselves, many times the fatalities due to the accidents can be reduced if the riders know some of the essential safety tips. Here are some of the tips for motorcycle riders.
- Ensure that the motorcycle is in a proper condition. If there is any fault with any of the vehicle parts it can become the cause of accident.
- Wear the right gear while riding. The most important safety gear is the helmet. Make sure that the helmet you wear has the DOT sticker which shows that the helmet has been approved after meeting the safety standards according to the law.
- Make sure that you attend a safety course if you are a new rider of motorcycle. Even if you are an experienced rider it is good for you to attend the safety course because it will help you to get familiar with the road rules and drive in a defensive way.
- Make sure that you follow the speed limits on the road. Watch for the signs and other motorists. You might be in the blind spot of other drivers and hence drive in such a way that you ensure your own safety on the road.
Even when you follow all the road rules and drive properly, there is chance for accidents to occur. In case such accident occurs, there are certain steps you need to take.
- Get to a safe area if you are able to move.
- Check the others involved in the accident and call 911 if necessary.
- Wait for the police to arrive and deal with the case.
- Report to the law enforcement and your insurance company.
Keeping these things in mind can help you as a motorcycle rider on the road.