Are you a committed motorcycle rider? Have you been riding your motorcycle for years? If yes, you are likely to encounter unfavorable weather conditions as well on your way, especially rain. Some riders, however, tend to tuck their bicycles in the garage until the sun rays hit again. Unfortunately, such people are keeping themselves from one of the best bike riding experiences since riding your bicycle during the rainy season can be fun if you do it in the right way. For this, you must be aware of the things to be expected on your way as well when and how to adjust riding style and path your way accordingly.
Now, some riders may wonder about the factors that they must consider when riding their bike on a rainy day, how to avoid accidents, will they be able to obtain coverage in case of accidents, can a motorcycle accident attorney will be able to help them, etc. To address all such doubts, refer to the points given below. Keep in mind that you are unlikely to obtain bike accident compensation even with the help of a seasoned motorcycle collision attorney if you fail to comply with the following guidelines.
Inspect your motorcycle
Before you set out on your two-wheeler ride, there are certain automobile elements that you must inspect to ensure a safe and happy journey. Some of those factors are listed below.
Your bike tires must have tread to channel water. Check your tires thoroughly and make sure that the pressure is optimal. It is to be noted that the optimal tire pressure requirements tend to vary depending on the weather condition. So, it is better to get your tires checked by a professional.
Brake pads are another important element that you must inspect irrespective of the weather. During the rainy season, make sure that your brake pads have enough material to make a sudden halt whenever required. Check out for wear and tears before you start your ride.
Oil and brake fluid
Inspect your automobile for leakages, especially when it comes to oil and brake fluid. Of course, oil leakages may not pose a huge safety concern while riding during dry weather conditions. On the other hand, when oil leaks and mixes with the water on the road, it can become a perfect recipe for unsafe conditions, especially slippery.
Choose appropriate riding gears
Once you are done with the inspection part, make sure to safeguard yourselves from the impact of unpredictable accidents by wearing the right riding gear. For instance, there are two types of clothing that you may consider when riding your bike on a rainy day; water-resistant and waterproof. When it comes to the former option, it allows water penetration after a certain period while shedding water from its surface keeping you warm.
When it comes to the latter choice, it will resist water penetration unless you are facing extreme conditions such as being sunken in water for a significantly longer period. Below is a list of the water-prevention gears that you must have while riding your bike in adverse conditions.
- Waterproof or water-resistant clothing – this includes one-piece suits, pants, jackets, etc., that features zippers that come with a flap that is not directly aligned with it. Furthermore, choose jackets with longer cuffs that can cover your riding gloves perfectly. The key is to keep your body warm and dry throughout the ride.
- Waterproof riding gloves and boots – other important gears that you may consider to tackle water penetration are waterproof riding gloves and boots. Make sure that both these gears fit your legs and hands perfectly and can be tucked effortlessly into your rain suit or jacket to alleviate the chances of water entering it.
- Always carry additional dry clothing during rainy days
- When it comes to helmets, a full-faced one will be the best option in this case. Otherwise, choose a pair of good goggles to secure your eye even when hit with water. You can also consider wearing a waterproof balaclava.
- If you are carrying any valuables including your mobile phones, watches, etc., it is better to secure it using plastic bags.
Apart from choosing the right waterproof or water-resistant gears, make sure to evaluate your riding plan well before you start your journey.
Plan your ride
The intensity of rain cannot be exactly predicted all the time. At times, it may turn to a downpour making it challenging or impossible for you to continue with your ride. In such cases, you must always have an alternative plan, particularly a rest space where you can take shelter until the weather conditions become safer again. For this, always mark your alternative locations, rest spots, favorite restaurants, etc., in your paper map or GPS beforehand to avoid unnecessary confusion.
Another major safety concern that arises during wet weather conditions is fogging issues. This mainly arises when there is a prominent temperature and humidity difference on a side of your bike. This can fog up your helmet visor, goggles, and even the windshield during a rainstorm. To tackle this, wipe the surfaces of your gears using an anti-fogging solution. In case, the fogging issue persists even after taking necessary precautions, it is recommended to pull over and resume your journey only when the conditions are safe.